Possibly the best brownies in the world...

In honour of my last blog, this isn't quite cookies, but they are rather fabulous! I've got some time off from synagogue duties (I believe the term is holiday...) so have really enjoyed preparing lots of treats for this shabbat that I usually don't have time for; making my own challah, lots of side dishes, and these fabulous brownies. It's a recipe I originally found in the magazine The Week and which they took from a Pret a Manger recipe book - I've made some changes, and some suggestions if you'd like to make it Parev (dairy free):

You will need:
- 225g unsalted butter, cubed (I use tomor or other dairy free spreads if this is to go with a meat meal)
- 300g dark choc chips (as high quality as you can get)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275g castor sugar
- 135g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- optional handful of nuts (pecans, almonds or hazelnuts - this isn't in the original recipe but I like them - especially indulgent are caramelised pecans!)

+ Pre heat oven to 160 degrees C and grease a 25cm square tin (I line with grease proof paper)
+ Melt butter/margarine and 2/3 of the chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat
+ Whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar together. If the chocolate mix is cool enough (i.e. you can put your finger in :) ) add it to the egg and sugar mix
+ Sift the flour and salt into the mix and fold in. Pour into a prepared tin and level. Sprinkle the remaining chips over top
+ Bake 25 minutes  - mix should be set but not all cooked - the tin will continue to cook it and this way it is soft and gooey in the centre.
+ Cut into squares and cool before removing from the tin

Enjoy! Warning, this can create death by chocolate and is very rich!

Comments

Popular Posts